Peer Resources School Site Intern
Part-time position (10 hours a week, August 2018-June 2019)
The Peer Resources School Site Intern position serves as training as you transition to college life and beyond. We invite you to apply for this year-long (Friday, August 10, 2018 – Tuesday, June 4, 2019) internship position.
Peer Resources creates transformational changes towards justice in our schools and communities through the leadership of young people engaging, training, and advocating with young people. We have partnered with SFUSD since 1979, with youth helping youth to make transformative changes by leading change-making projects and by providing peer services such as peer mentoring, peer tutoring, peer education, and peer restorative mediation. Currently, we train 750 Peer Leaders in middle and high schools to serve over 16,000 of their peers in 14 schools.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Well-organized and self-motivated
- Strong leadership skills in supporting youth to become peer leaders
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and positively across difference with diverse youth and adults, especially youth of color
- Good communication skills
- Reflective and open-minded
- Interest in developing an equity centered, critically conscious lens in an educational setting
- Experience as a Peer Leader in a Peer Resources program
- Interest in cooperative learning and leading environment
- Legally eligible to work in United States
- Ability to provide proof of required clearance to work in a public school setting (including TB test and relevant background check (fingerprinting) clearance)
- Available to attend REQUIRED workshops and trainings (see below)
- Available to work 8 hours each week (NOT including transportation times) at assigned Peer Resources School Site (hours between 8:30am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday)
- Oral fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, and/or Tagalog
- Experience working in peer helping and youth development programs
- Experience planning and managing youth programs or projects
- Enrollment in a Metro Academy at CCSF or SF State University
- Help Peer Resources Coordinator run a Peer Resource program at specific school site,
- Assist Peer Resource Coordinator in the implementation of youth-led programming,
- Use SMARTES Goals and Planning Backwards to complete teaching opportunities and a signature project,
- Directly serve with a 15 person youth cohort, facilitating project-based learning,
- Record attendance of Peer Leaders in grant-required database,
- Complete all required timesheets, paperwork and reports in a timely manner,
- Attend MANDATORY weekly Thursday meetings from 4:15-6:15pm.
Interns must attend the following paid trainings and weekly trainings at the Peer Resources Office (Mission High School, 3750 18th St., Room 410):
- New Hires Orientation and Training: Friday, August 10 (times to be determined between 9am-3pm)
- Staff Trainings: Wednesday, August 15 & Thursday, August 16 (times to be determined between 9am-3pm)
- Weekly 2-hour Intern Supervision and trainings: Thursdays, 4:15-6:15pm, August 23, 2018 – May 30, 2019
Interns work a total of 10 hours weekly. 2 hours each week in training and supervision (4:15-6:15pm, Thursdays), plus 8 hours a week at their assigned school site (between 8:00am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday). Assigned School Site Hours are during the school day and are determined together by the Peer Resources Coordinator and Intern at each site.
Interns may be invited to apply for the following year, up to a total of two years.
- The on-line application is available through the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/interns1819
- Please e-mail Thuy Nguyen, firstname.lastname@example.org, with additional questions.
- Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm on SUNDAY, APRIL 29, 2018.
Peer Resources alumni, people of color and LGBTQQITP-identified people are strongly encouraged to apply.